With the advancement of technology, there has been an evolution in home security. And it’s no more the traditional way of entering your home manually with a lock and key. Now you can enter your home with devices called smart devices. These devices allow you to gain access without physical contact. You can ditch the lock and key if you have these smart devices installed at your home. If you are planning to upgrade your security with smart devices, there are different types of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi-based smart locks are available in the market. And it’s important to know which is the best option between Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. So, Keep reading this article to find out more about Bluetooth and Wi-Fi based smart locks.
What are smart locks?
A smart lock is a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth-enabled smart home device that lets you leave your house keys behind. It lets you lock and unlock your door with the tap of a finger or a simple voice command. These devices even allow remote access, so you can unlock your door remotely.
What are Bluetooth Smart Locks?
Bluetooth enabled smart locks works the same way as Wi-Fi with the same functionality without draining your battery as quickly. You don’t have to connect these devices to a smart home system instead, you can directly connect your locks to your mobile device. When you have your mobile device at a distance of 30 feet it can sense and hence unlocks the door automatically.
BLUETOOTH SMART LOCK: PROS
- With Bluetooth smart locks you can be worry-free about searching for keys to enter your property.
- These locks have hands free features, it allows you to automatically unlock your door when your smartphone is detected at a certain distance from the door.
- These devices have battery-operated features, so they can operate even during power outages.
- It provides you with additional security and only gives access when you are physically present.
- It allows you to send digital keys from your phone to your loved ones so that it makes it easy and convenient for them to gain access to your home.
BLUETOOTH SMART LOCK: CONS
- These devices are less capable of operating remotely when it comes to distance.
- It only works in the proximity of the programmed device, and you cannot give digital key access to someone remotely.
- These devices drain your battery faster when it’s run 24/7 and if your phone runs out of battery it makes it super difficult to gain access to your home until you charge your phone.
What are Wi-Fi Smart Locks?
These smart locks are Wi-Fi enabled which means they work with a Wi-Fi connection. These devices can also be paired with a smart hub like Amazon Echo. Basically, Wi-Fi smart locks let you lock and unlock your door with a Wi-Fi connection. Apart from these, there are other amazing useful features such as monitoring, tracking and you can also share e-keys with your loved ones. With this type of smart lock, you don’t have to worry about copying your house keys.
WIFI SMART LOCK: PROS
- If you have an active Wi-Fi connection, you can unlock your door remotely from any place in the world using your smartphone.
- These devices have a specially designed in-built feature that helps you to track your door unlock activity in real-time.
- No more copying of keys to your family and friends while this device allows you to share digital keys with them. You can customize the time and other parameters to give them safe access.
- You can program your digital keys to work only at a certain time. This will be extremely helpful for allowing workers, guests and more.
WIFI SMART LOCK: CONS
- This device will not work if there is a power outage as the Wi-Fi disconnects. So it’s better to get a battery-operated Wi-Fi smart lock or have a physical backup that can help to run this device uninterruptedly.
- Sharing digital keys can be sometimes a huge security threat. Along with this, if you ever lose your smartphone, it can put your security at risk. But the good news is, you can log into the smart lock app from another device and operate it using the password-protected mode to make sure your home is safe and sound.
Locksmith Monkey: Your smart lock expert in Portland
Smart locks are a great way to upgrade your security. It’s the best security solution that allows you to access your property without a lock and key. If you are planning to transform your home security into a smart one, Locksmith Monkey in PDX can help you. We are your local house locksmiths in Portland that offer the best smart security solutions. From smart device installations, repair to maintenance we cover it all. For more information, contact our locksmith experts today!